25.4.13

Knit and Crochet Blog Week Day 4: Color Review (4KCBWDAY4)

What are your favourite colours for knitted or crocheted projects. Have a think about what colours you seem to favour when yarn shopping and crafting.
  
I love color.  I've tried to be one of those people who has a basic wardrobe that they just accent or who decorates their home in a specific color scheme, but it never works out.  I'm never happier than when I am surrounded by all different colors.  The same applies to my knitting.  As I thought about today's prompt I tried to decide what color I favor more than any other, and I came up with nothing.  I like to knit in variegated yarns, reserving solids and tonals for garment knitting.  Even then I tend to try for variety, looking to knit a different color every time.
A glance over my Ravelry project page shows similar results.  In 2012 I seemed to favor greys, blues, and some browns.  This year I seem to be leaning towards orange and pinks.  I know that when I go to buy yarn I try to think of what kind of project this yarn could make.  Then I try to determine what colors I already have to see if I can fill any holes.  This is how I ended up with bright purple for a sweater and brown for a pair of socks.  For me it is all in what strikes my fancy and that I cannot find already in my wardrobe.
At the same time, the fact that I tend away from solids means that I have a lot of variety in my knitting.  I have a pair of socks on the needles that are neon green, hot pink, and black.  At the same time I have soft grey lace weight waiting to become a light cardigan.  All of this fits in with the House of Bees.  We bees love variety.  It allows us to keep finding new interesting things in the projects we already have on the needles.  If our knitting was all about one color, it would be a lot harder to stay focused on the same series of knits rather than constantly looking for something new.
*Knit and Crochet Blog Week is an annual event hosted by Eskimimi Makes.  To find the rest of the posts, type today's tag 4KCBWDAY4 into Google or your preferred search engine.




7 comments:

  1. The Byzantine Cowl is stunning, Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed that my color pallet evolves over time and with the seasons. Your projects are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spice of life, and all that! I really like your Lightning Shrug, something about that color combo just works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a well rounded balance of color in your life. I am trying, but I still walk right up to the greens!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. I don't think I'm yet to see a Bee who has just one colour.
    Variety keeps things interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving all of your colors and color combinations. And I'm the same way, there's no deciding on a 'favorite' when there are so many beautiful hues out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of lovely colours in your projects. I couldn't pick one colour either

    ReplyDelete