22.6.11

WIP Wednesday: Knitting Disasters in Middle Earth

For more WIP Wednesday fun check out Tami's Amis.

I can't remember the last time I did not knit when at a movie theater. It just does not work for me any more. I've always loved movies but the need to sit still in a dark theater for 2+ hours is not something I particularly relish if I can't have my knitting. Let's face it. Sitting still at all is not something I'm good at. Anyway, for the past two weeks Andrea and I have been putting ourselves to one of the most extreme tests of fan loyalty. We have gone to see the first two Lord of the Rings Extended Editions in theaters. Last night was The Two Towers -- three hours and fifty-five minutes, no intermission. So naturally I've been knitting. A lot.


This growing monstrosity (the Lodi Cardigan from Knitscene Summer 2011) is my current movie theater knitting, though I predict that by the end of Return of the King it will have at least one partial sleeve. I'm a bit afraid of having to pick up any stitches in a dark theater even if I do know every line of the film by heart.

Last night, while the battle raged for Middle Earth I was fighting my own battle. Against my needles. Evidently my knitting life is not exciting enough. We had just reached the Dead Swamp when I realized my yarn was not moving from the cord up to the tip of the needle. Now the yarn is a cotton blend so it is freakishly stiff a bit on the uncooperative side. I soon realized, however, that it wasn't the yarn that was the problem. My needles were splintering at the join.


I don't remember what brand of needles these are. They're a pair of US5s that I picked up at a yarn store last year. As the movie wore on, more and more pieces of the needle were snagging parts of the yarn, creating an epic battle that I ultimately won right as Aragorn fell off the cliff. Fortunately I was close to the part of the pattern in which I needed to change needle size, so I quickly grabbed my nice Clover bamboo circs out of my bag (much to the dramatic sighing of the woman next to me) and changed needle sizes early.

Only to drop a stitch at the beginning of the Battle of Helms Deep.


16 comments:

  1. I am in awe of your ability to knit in the dark. My eyes are too old for such stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't knit in the dark either - I love the idea of knitting and watching LOTR in the cinema!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea of knitting in the cinema, I'm definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA - loved this blog post. I knit or crochet when movies are on at home... I haven't attempted the movie theater yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds really annoying. I hope it didn't damage your project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knitting in the dark. My friend you've taken the love of knitting to an all time high. Can't wait to see your finished sweater. By the time ROTK is done, you'll probably be done too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL. Is it worth seeing the extended editions, do you think ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good story! I haven't tried knitting in a theatre... I look at my knitting too much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. knitting in the dark, at the cinema?!? I am amazed and slightly in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW - the thought of knitting anything decent in the dark has me running for the hills! I knit or crochet through films at home, but it's not that dark here. I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to knit while I watch movies, but I've only tried during home viewing. I think I might have trouble in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Vivianne -- I love the extended editions. I was in highschool when the movies came out and bought all of the extended editions rather than the theatrical releases. I highly recommend them if you like the films, the extra scenes add a lot without feeling like they just stuck random deleted scenes in. Plus, they're two dvds, so there's a built in intermission at home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me too... love the extended versions! I could just live in them. What a great idea, to knit in the theatre. With restless leg syndrome, movies can be a challenge, but I knit when I watch at home and it helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahahahahha I love those movies .... I always drop stitches if I get too involved! Good luck with the cardi!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dear - I'd definitely be worried that I would constantly drop stitches and so on if I tried to knit in the cinema.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i have a hard time sitting still anywhere without having knitting in hand, so i am with ya!

    ReplyDelete