12.10.10

All That Remains

Things here are so crazy I have not had a spare moment to sit down and blog about the featherweight or my birthday (I do hope to get a WIP Wednesday post out tomorrow), but I had to take a spare moment to make sure that you see this video. Around six months ago (I try not to remember the date, it was too sad), my favorite tv show came to an end. Dollhouse was a powerful show that spoke to a lot of the deep themes of identity and morality that so often get treated with cotton candy lightheartedness on so many other shows. It dealt in moral ambiguity and required an audience that thought through and processed every act. With very few exceptions, each episode was a shot of perspective and even those seemingly throwaway episodes are filled with intelligence. Today the season 2 dvds were released, and while I myself have not purchased them, I too marked today's tainted joy, excited for the product, but saddened because I am once again reminded of what my Friday nights have lost. However, we found out this weekend that the story will live on in the form of a comic series that will debut in February (there is a special issue with the dvds that I hope some kind soul will let me read), so there is hope. There is always hope. That is something Dollhouse taught me.

In the meantime, writers Maurissa Tancharoen and Jed Whedon have released a music video for their song Remains (available on itunes). I think it aired on the show, but I honestly can't tell you for sure (yes, I'm a bad podcaster) [Edited to add: yes, it did. I just went back to check. It's in Epitaph One, ironically the episode that Fox did not allow to air]. The following video does an excellent job of underscoring the core of the show. I hope that you watch, even if you did not watch the show. It is not just about beautiful people being brainwashed, it is about human nature and human needs. Understand that it will challenge you, it will horrify you, and it will make you weep (maybe not this video, but the show definitely could). Today I watch in melancholy because I miss something that was a big part of my life for the better part of a year, but I also celebrate the beauty of something that brought me so much joy.

Watch. Enjoy.
Dollhouse, we miss you.

2 comments:

  1. Gah, proof that the wounds of it's cancellation are still sore... within the first 49 seconds I felt my eyes start to get puffy. The song got me as much as it did when I first heard it on Epitaph One. I need to marathon the show soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to cover this eventually, but I think you hit on everything I ever thought about this show all in one post, and with less words.

    ReplyDelete