13.12.10

Triangular Finances

Today I did something I always feel apprehensive doing -- I took a financial leap of faith.  I'm a planner.  I like to know what I'm doing and where I'm going.  There's a lot of room for spontaneity when I get my work done, but there is no room for spontaneity in my finances.  But today I went to school an hour early and cancelled my loan for the spring semester.  Of course I have to take my car in for repairs tomorrow, but I have enough saved up that I should be able to afford it.  We'll see.  I don't think people realize how badly in debt students unwittingly go, but I'll save my rant about the allocation of aid money for another day.  In any case, between my scholarship and paycheck I decided to risk it.

When I got to the office, the councilor I worked with complemented me on my mitts.  When I mentioned that I knit them she got very excited.  Evidentially she and another woman in the office both knit, so when we were done she dragged me down to her coworkers office to show her my mitts and the hat and scarf I was wearing.  It totally made my day.  I'm not sure even my family has been so excited about my knitwear.

I was so bundled up today because the temperature has finally dropped into the twenties.  With the wind, it's been quite a biting cold.  So today I adopted a fashion trend I have seen a lot lately but have never really thought I would like.  The triangle scarf.


This is my Wonder Shawl that I wore to our end of semester party in May.  I usually don't directly match my hats and scarves, but for some reason when I put on my Top Model Hat I decided to give it a try.  I actually tried this for the first time last week and found it to be quite to my liking.  I think it's the hair cut.

In any case, I now find myself a little obsessed with the triangle scarf or small shawl look.  But I only have the one shawl.  Now I'm looking at Stephen West's stuff with new eyes.  I always thought his stuff looked nice, but never felt any particular attachment to them.  But now!  Now I am falling down the rabbit hole.  As soon as Christmas knitting is complete I have a feeling I will be spending a little too much on patterns and knitting up my sock yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment