11.9.12

Geektastic Tuesday: Because Thursday is Too Far Away

This week's Geektastic Thursday is too exciting to sit on any longer.  In many theaters this has a limited run, and I just cannot take the chance that you may not already know about it.  I am talking, of course, about the IMAX release of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Now Raiders is my favorite of the Indiana Jones series, and is in contention for my favorite movie of all time. It is exciting and witty and has just a hint of romance.  It is one of the reasons I decided to pursue a degree in history rather than a more practical degree in business or accounting.  Something about the magic of the movie has stuck with me, long after I have moved on from other childhood favorites.

The team who was involved in this IMAX conversion did an amazing job.  Not only are the images much larger than I have ever seen them before, for the most part they are very clear.  The film still retains an older look to it, but you can actually see everything, like the blood spatter on the windshield when Indy is shot in the Nazi convoy.  There are still some places, most notably one of the final scenes, in which the film becomes a bit blurry, but I believe that is due to the way the cameras were focused and I think it was the only scene shot at that angle.

Overall, it is an incredible film, as always.  It was a lot of fun to watch it in the theater, because you could tell where there were children who were watching for the first time.  I only hope they enjoyed it as much as I have over the years.  Our theater extended the run for a second week, but most IMAX theaters are sticking to the one week run, so do not hesitate to check it out.


And the highlight of seeing it on the big screen?  I finally found R2 and 3PO!

No comments:

Post a Comment