12.9.12

Plague Driven Charts

The plague (or something akin to the plague more commonly known as a cold) has been making the rounds at work and I appear to be its latest victim.  I spent Monday in a medicated haze and yesterday I came home from work and passed out before I even removed my shoes.  Because of this, one would think that I had not accomplished much.  But then, one has been known to be wrong.

Over the weekend I started knitting the Byzantine Cowl, which I got as a kit from Club Dragonfly.  Let me remind you.  I've never done stranded colorwork.  It has always been that "oh, one day when I'm a better knitter" kind of thing.  But for some reason when I got this kit I decided that I absolutely must cast it on (after the wedding of course, there was no way I could start this in the weeks it arrived).

I think I have found a new addiction.  I knit most of this in the past two days, but it seems to be working out despite the medication.  I have not spent time researching how to knit stranded, but finally my immersion in way too many knitting blogs and podcasts has paid off.  I remember reading or hearing someone talk about what it is like for a continental knitter to do stranded and which hand to hold the background color with (my right), and so I just took off.  And guess what?  I'm knitting with two hands!  Just don't ask me to do housework.  I'm far too sick to try that.


Hopefully I can finish the entire project before I lose my mind with these charts -- it is a reversible cowl after all.

For more WIPs and knitting fun, check out Tami's Amis.


7 comments:

  1. Your cowl is lovely! The colors you've chosen are perfect together.
    I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colorwork is the best! I started with mittens and never looked back. I just finished an entire colorwork and steeked sweater (that wasn't too bad to make). It's very addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very pretty. You're doing a great job -- doesn't look like this is your first go at all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is gorgeous; I LOVE the colors!! It looks like you're doing great with the colorwork...I've been saying the same thing about "someday"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your color work looks fantastic, especially for your first time! My first go-not as awesome. :-D I hope you feel better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I hope you finish because it looks like it will be a beautiful cowl! The colours are very pretty together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For your first stranded project, that's incredibly neat! Good luck with finishing it :D

    ReplyDelete