16.1.13

Not the Happiest of Socks

These socks have a bit of a sad tale.  On Friday my father, sister, and I drove up to Pennsylvania for the funeral of a dear man.  Robert, known to this part of the family as Uncle Bob, was a dear man who was like a grandfather to us.  He was a missionary in The Philippines until his two year old daughter contracted Polio, and then he took care of her, succumbing the disease himself.  He was a writer, a World War Two vet, and a brilliant pianist.  In a word, he was amazing, and served as a wonderful positive influence on the world.  When Uncle Bob's wife Margie died two years ago we made this same journey and I cast on a pair of socks.  Since I have recently found myself with a free pair of needles I decided to start another pair.  It may sound a little strange, but for me it was a calming and meditative way to survive the nine hour journey.


This (Lateral) is the third pattern I have knit from Cookie A's Shape + Form.  I just cannot seem to get enough of her patterns.  Unlike her more well known sock patterns, Lateral is fairly straight forward and easy to memorize, but it is that simplicity that makes it so appealing at a time like this.  The yarn is Tempted Fiber Arts in the colorway Oasis.  I am loving the way the variegation is taking to the pattern.


I am changing the heel, subbing out the more traditional heel for a garter eye of partridge.  I recently learned this from the Hermoine's Everyday Sock pattern and I think this may be my new favorite.  I like the way the eye of partridge wears with my shoes and the garter stitch flows into the rest of the sock in a way that seems like magic.

I am hopeful that this will turn out well.  I know some may find it distasteful to be knitting a pair of socks in memory of my uncle, but it gives me a constructive way to go through this mourning period.  Like when I knit a different hat every time my father was in the hospital.  It channels the nervous energy and when I come out the other side I will be able to remember the honor guard who brought us all to tears in a bit more tangible manner.

For more uplifting WIPs, check out the gang over at Tami's Amis.


5 comments:

  1. I don't think it's distasteful at all. Knitting has helped me through a number of stressful and emotional times in my life. Sometimes a simple sock is just what's needed. Sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. He sounds like an amazing man, and the socks will be a nice way to remember him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there's something comforting in ritual. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It's beautiful to memorialize a person. I'm sure you will think of your uncle each time you reach for these socks. And, there's nothing distasteful in that type of preservation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am truly sorry for your loss. It doesn't sound odd you find knitting as a way to relax you and meditate in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete