18.10.11

The Thrifting Files

The socks are done!  They are currently blocking on the porch and will [hopefully] have lovely photos taken of them tomorrow.  I have this fantasy of laying on the grass with my stockingd feet propped up on a tree but I think the neighbors might ban together to have me kicked out for scaring their children.

In the meantime, I received a lovely package today.  It actually arrived yesterday but was delivered to the apartment office because I was not home and they were afraid to bend it to fit in the mail box.  It's Coastal Knits!  I know there are blog reviews and podcasts and everyone is all excited, so I won't do a proper review here until I knit one of the patterns (though I already knit the Rustling Leaves Beret that was part of the pre-order package and absolutely love it).  One of the lovely things about this book is the photography.  I am now dying to own each of the sweaters in the exact colors and go visit the locations.  I know, a little too over the top crazy, right?  But they're just so nice!  My sweater addiction is back and I want to make them!

The problem with wanting to make sweaters is that I can't afford the yarn.  Oh, I can sometimes and occasionally I find a good deal, but I don't have the stockpile of sweater yarn that a lot of knitters seem to.  In fact, despite my possession of a dedicated yarn cabinet, I don't own all that much yarn.  And I certainly do not have the quantity and range of yarns I would need for such nice sweaters.  But as I was feeling sorry for myself and wishing I had the money to go crazy buying sweater yarn at SAFF (could still happen.  I'll be a nice skeletal size if I blow all my money and can't eat.  Plus, I won't need as much yarn), I realized that I have a few ratty old thrift store sweaters that I keep on hand for at-home winter layers.  And they are machine knit in pieces.  Couldn't I frog the yarn and reuse it for my own knitting?  Then I'd be just as warm, maybe more stylish, and be able to knit sweaters!

So I started with this.


Over three hours later it looks like this.


Somehow I could not find a way to undo the seems and thus have to unravel the pieces from each other.  It's taken a good portion of a Jim Butcher audio book to get this far.  But I'm determined.  The idea of owning enough of a wool angora blend to knit a cardigan is enough to keep me going.  I'm just going to be working on it for a while.

One thing's for sure.  When I do finally get to knit with this yarn I will make sure I learn how to properly join yarn.  There is no way on this earth or any other dimension that I am going to weave in all of these ends.

1 comment:

  1. I just bought 1000 yds of cashmere/merino dk weight from colourmart for a grand total of FORTY AMERICAN DOLLARS. They have insanely good prices as it is overstock from fashion houses. The only downside? It is cone yarn, which means it is oiled for machine use and you have to wash it before you can knit with it. But a cashmere/merino sweater is well worth it. (the other downside is they only carry lace, dk, and a few Aran weights, but I still think it is an excellent source for good yarn)

    ReplyDelete