7.6.13

FO: Hippie Traveler

Happy Friday everyone.  I have managed to pull my sodden self back together and am comforting myself with the notion that my ikkle brother may be bigger than me now, but he still has to go through freshman year and all the amusement that entails for his big sister.  But before I became a blubbering mess I did manage a small knitting feat and turned in this hooded vest for Charms homework in the Harry Potter Knit and Crochet House Cup.


The Havasu Hoodie by Par Oiseau was in Knitscene Summer 2012, but somehow I missed it at the very back of the issue.  It is a reverse stockinette hoodie knit in pieces and then joined together for the hood.  I knit mine out of some old Lion Brand Fisherman's Worsted I had in the stash.  I had bought two skeins several years ago but had not done more than the occasional scrappy worsted project and it needed a better outlet.


You may have noticed a slight error in my version of the pattern.  And by slight I mean AN ENTIRE PIECE IS BACKWARDS! *Ahem* Yes.  It seems that when I joined the back to the two fronts I joined the back with the stockinette side facing, but the fronts with the reverse stockinette side facing, and proceeded to knit the hood as written.  I did not realize this until I was finishing up the seams two days and a new season of Arrested Development later.  So I left it, which could have been one of the better mistakes I have made.  This white yarn shows all the mistakes I made in my tension as I carted these pieces around with me and the knit side is much more forgiving than the purl side.


My loving husband is often the one behind the lense helping me to take photos of my knitwear.  For this hoodie I styled it in a sort of lost explorer with a little bit of fashion sense (not too much, we were working off of my closet).  The twist came when a thunderstorm rolled in while we were in the nature park and we tried to get "just a few more" pictures.  I don't think I have ever seen him run so fast, though he claims he was just keeping up with me.  Out of deference to him I will probably be picking much tamer photo locations for a while.


To see more FOs, hopefully photographed with less chance of immolation, check out the gang over at Tami's Amis!

5 comments:

  1. It's not a mistake, it's a design decision. It looks great and well done for having an outdoor shoot. I rarely even venture into the garden for my photos, but then I have to do my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah for camera buddies!

    I use the timer on my camera a lot.

    The sweater turned out great.

    Molly : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with Stitched Together. I call my happy accidents "design features". It's lovely, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with Stitched Together, I call my happy accidents "design features". It's lovely, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete