20.6.13

Geektastic Thursday: Gorillapod

I'm sure many knitters go through this.  You knit something awesome.  You finish it.  You immediately want to take photos of it to put on Ravelry or your blog to show everyone, but of course this is the one time that there is no one available to help you out.  I am blessed to have a husband who has learned how to help me take pictures of my knitting, but we are not home at the same time for much of the week.  I often end up scrambling to get his help taking an FO photo because the light has gone or I have not quite finished weaving in those ends.  On Tuesday I had a later shift than normal, so I dug out one of my favorite wedding presents and decided to give it a go all on my own.


This is the Joby Gorillapod.  It is a flexible tripod designed for small cameras and specifically made to be used in a more rugged environment.  The legs are made of multiple ball joints with no straight pieces so that they can be wrapped as tightly as possible around tree branches, park benches, and just about anything else you can think of.  The swivel head also pivots so that you can take a shot from any angle.

I had an absolute blast playing with ours.  I went into the woods behind our apartment and climbed over downed trees and was able to use the gorillapod and the camera's self-timer to take shots more in line with what I had envisioned.  Nothing is more fun than scaring the neighbors by hanging almost upside down trying to see if that gets a better look at the stitch pattern (it didn't, but it was a cool idea).  The shots I got were not the best ever, but with some more practice and creativity, I think this will become my new go-to way to take knitting photos.  You can rest assured my husband will be glad that we won't be running from any more lightening any time soon.

2 comments:

  1. I love my gorilla tripod.
    Too often I take crappy iphone photos of me in a mirror.
    That's an awesome shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used my GorillaPod for ages before deciding I needed a full scale tripod (that actually was cheaper than the GorillaPod). It means I don't need to stand tables on top of each other as I don't have things to wrap it round where my best light is. It's much easier for me to have something free standing.

    ReplyDelete