1.7.11

FO Friday: The Other Slayer

In the spirit of only thinking about good news this week, I have something exciting to share with you all.  It isn't a knitting FO, but it is an FO of another sort.

I've been published!

Let's let that sink in for just a moment, shall we?  Yesterday the new issue of Watcher Junior was released and one of the three articles was written by me!  This is the culmination of three years of work and patience and to be honest I had begun to believe that it would never happen.  In 2009 I presented my senior honors thesis (a requirement to be fulfilled the semester you graduate if you have completed the honors program) about the character Faith from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  My adviser, a published Buffy scholar herself (she's awesome and blogs about it), pushed me to submit my paper for publication in Watcher Junior, an online journal affiliated with Slayage that publishes undergraduate papers.  Fast-forward to last summer when I got my comments and revisions back.  I spent every Saturday morning in Pittsburgh sitting in Starbucks working the edits.  In August I submitted it and then nothing happened.  Actually, lots happened, but it was on the inside at the journal so I did not know anything about it.  I thought that was the end of it until I got an email on Saturday that said the new issue would be out this week and I would be included!

If you would like to read the article you can do so for free here.  It is also searchable in EBSCOHost, which I think is probably the most exciting thing for me right now.  I'm kind of afraid to go look at the article after a year away from it, but as my Dad has requested linkage I guess there's no hiding from it.

For other FO Friday posts check out Tami's blog!

8 comments: