6.7.11

WIP Wednesday: Memories

For more WIP Wednesday madness, visit Tami's blog.

It's ironic that I wrote about my Kristi socks last week because they are basically the only knitting I've done in the past week.  It seems that lately every time something happens in the family I'm working on a cabled sock.  When my aunt died I knit my Cabled Highway Socks on the drive to the funeral.

On Monday my grandfather was admitted to the hospital.  We had brought him over for lunch earlier in the day and had a really great time.  He doesn't recognize most of us anymore, but he knows we are important and likes to spend time with us.  My sister, who is studying to be a nurse, gave him a manicure which had to be one of the cutest things I've ever seen.


Monday night I did a lot of knitting waiting to see how he was.  It was a rough night, which meant that I got a lot of knitting done.  Tuesday brought better news and we had a really good day with him in the hospital.  He is really sick, but he was mentally engaged and kept watching me knit.  I sat next to him watching the World Cup and he found me way more entertaining than the television.  At one point I let him look at it and he would not give it back for a full five minutes.  It was a great moment.


I'm almost done with the leg on the first sock.  Which is a big deal for me not only because they're Cookie A socks, but because I'm not a cuff-down sock knitter.  But I'm loving these, and I'm knitting in hopeful and happy vibes into them in the hopes that I can wear them next time I go visit my grandfather.

8 comments:

  1. Best wishes to you and your grandfather. It's wonderful that you are getting to spend so much time and taking so much enjoyment from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope yor grandfather gets well soon and you can show him some more of your knitting. Sending warm thoughts and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really touching to read. When my dad was in the hospital before he passed, I was working on a crocheted hat. My mom also brought something to crochet and my sister was knitting. The room got really quiet and it felt so peaceful with him just watching us do our work. He then made his typical wisecrack that all we do is stitch, stitch, stitch but we never finish anything. I then put the hat that I just finished on his head to shut him up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely sock. I hope all will be well with your Grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post - Those are very sweet pictures of your grandfather, and your socks are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, touching post. I love that knitting can really bring people together. Today I sat with my Father for the first time in a long time and knit while we talked. I wish your family all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, what a sweet post. I love the manicure photo. Treasure him even in his confusion he sounds like he senses your love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so nice. That picture reminds me of the manicure I gave my mum in hospital just before she passed. Your Grandad looks sweet, best wishes to your family.

    ReplyDelete