8.3.13

FO: Pretty in Pink

Happy Friday!  Once again you are spared any Vampire Diaries talk because the show is still on hiatus until next week, leaving me to do what we fangirls do best -- forget absolutely everything that happened until right before the new episode when suddenly we feel every emotion possible.  It's the only coping mechanism I know.  Last night instead of watching tv I got myself almost stranded on the way home from zumba when my car came *thiiiiiis* close to running out of gas.  There was lots of yelling.  And wondering if I had enough yarn to survive the wait until Chris left work (he's not allowed a phone) and could come find me.  But I made it to a gas station, and then there was a Bowie album review on NPR and all was right with the world.

This week's FO took me about a month to knit and is currently (of course) my most favorite knit item ever.  Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Pretty in Pink.

Pretty in Pink modeled over Jaded Milkmaid

This is the Merging Ripples Shawl from Knitscene, Winter 2012.  My entire concept going into this project was to focus attention on the orangey color, Duckie from Unwind Yarn Company on her Journey Sock base.  I know I have mentioned it several times, but in case you missed it this yarn was dyed to match Duckie's outfit when he is singing -- my favorite moment from any John Hughes movie.

The pink contrast stripes are Seacoast Handpainted Panda in the color Berry, which I received in a swap from a very lovely person.  I have worn the shawl to work almost every day since its completion and have had loads of compliments that start out with "I wouldn't think those colors would work together but . . ."  Which means I have succeeded in my goal to stretch my color limits.


The pattern itself is quite lovely.  It is worked bottom up, so the cast-on is a ridiculous number of stitches, but then the repeats gradually get shorter and the short rows more addictive.  I really enjoyed this variation on the two-color shawl, giving each color more depth and room to play out in texture and tonality.  Plus I am really in love with large shawls and this is a great way to get one without losing your mind in either stitch patterns or repetitive stripes.  Every stripe is just a little different, but not so different that I could not read while I knit, which is a big plus these days when reading time is at a premium for me.


If you would like to see some more finished knitting, please check out the links over at Tami's Amis.  There is always great fun to be had.



6 comments:

  1. I can't imagine why anyone thought those colors WOULDN'T work together. In my mind they are a perfect contrast. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you reading and knitting? Tips, please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shawl is beautiful! I love the color combination. I'll have to add the pattern to my queue...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness you made it home on fumes. I test fate a lot that way much to my husband's chagrin. He is always reminding me how much the tow would cost if I run out of gas on a major highway :)

    Love the shawl! The colour combo makes me think of sherbet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Considering that you almost came to a screeching halt, it sounds like you managed it all well & you got to hear about Bowie on NPR! I love this shawl pattern and just might have to cast one on.

    ReplyDelete